Inside North Korea: The day Kim Jong-il gave me a Rolex

Inside North Korea: The day Kim Jong-il gave me a Rolex

Kim Jong-il in 1999 with his inner circle

As part of North Korea's propaganda machine, Jang Jin-sung spent his career writing eulogies of Kim Jong-il, before growing disillusioned and fleeing to South Korea in 2004. Here he describes life as a member of the North Korean elite.
I wrote poems for the regime under a pen name, pretending I was a grass-roots poet from the South. I wrote epic poems glorifying Kim Jong-il, which were published in the main newspaper in the North.
I met Kim Jong-il twice. The first time, in 1999, I was overwhelmed and full of emotion. But at the same time I thought the image I had received of him - through brainwashing - was very different to how he appeared in person.
Kim Jong-il's words are used as guidelines for running the country. He is a god-like figure. But when I met him I felt he was much more individualistic, even a bit selfish - and I was disappointed.
Lavish rations
I was given a Rolex watch as a gift when I met him and when I came to the south I saw the same watch at a department store for sale for about $11,000 (£7,000).


Selling my daughter

A poem in Korean by Jang Jin-sung
The woman was emaciated / The sign hung from her neck / "Selling my daughter for 100 won" / With the little girl standing next to her / The woman stood in the market place.
The woman was a mute / She gazes at her daughter / Her maternal feelings are being sold / Cursed at by passers-by / The woman stares only at the ground / The woman has no more tears.
Clutching her mother's skirt / "My mother's dying," cries the daughter / The woman's lips tremble / The woman knows no gratitude / The soldier gave her 100 won, saying / "I'm not buying your daughter, I'm buying your motherly love" / The woman grabs the money and runs off.
The woman is a mother / With the 100 won she received for the sale of her daughter / She hurries back, carrying bread / She shoves the bread into her daughters mouth / "Forgive me," wails the woman.
Jang Jin-sung poem translated by Kevin Kim; 100 won is roughly equivalent to 73 US cents or 47p
Though the population was going hungry, he was using gifts as a way of buying loyalty and bringing those in his inner circle closer to him.
After we met, Kim Jong-il asked his aides to take care of me and afterwards I received special treatment - the kind of benefits unavailable to normal citizens. Once you have met him in person, you can't even be prosecuted in court without a special signing off.
For privileged, higher class, citizens there are three types of rations - a daily ration, a three day ration and a weekly ration. The state calculates everything a person needs in daily life, the amount of vitamins, calories, the kind of food you need to eat and so on. The daily ration is the highest, I received a weekly ration which was still very lavish.
Most ordinary people were living from what they could buy in the markets, so I was lucky to get rations. Between 1994 and 1999 I believe over three million people died of hunger.
I witnessed this. I saw that most people were living an entirely different life from the elite class. I realised North Korea was the poorest country in the world, presided over by the richest king - and that's why I wrote poems that were critical of the regime while I was still there.
While the population of North Korea was starving in the 1990s, Kim Jong-il spent millions of dollars constructing the state mausoleum, which shows how wrong his priorities were.
When I met him the second time it was quite shocking. We sat at a performance together, and he kept on crying while he watched it.
I felt his tears represented his yearning to become a human being, to become an ordinary person.
In our office we had free access to South Korean books, and I began to compare the two systems in north and south and to see the shortcomings of the regime in the north.
Disabled
I began circulating these books among friends who didn't work at the office and the spy agency discovered what I was doing. I faced charges of treason. Things got a bit more complicated and I decided I had to leave.
I had a special pass that was issued by my work - and that was good enough to travel to the border area with China and other special privileges that made travelling within North Korea possible.
A view from the South Korea into the north A view from the south shows North Korea's sparse landscape
I wasn't able to tell my family I was going because I didn't want them to get upset. That separation was a sin that I had to commit.
At the the Tumen River, I crossed the border into China with a friend. I spent a month in China, and then I stumbled across some people who helped me get into South Korea and finally to Seoul.
One of the first things I noticed was how many trees there were in the mountains. I was also surprised by how many protests there were on the streets, I realised South Korea is a country ruled by the masses rather than a dictator.
I was also surprised there were so many facilities for disabled people. In North Korea anyone who is disabled is banished outside Pyongyang.
Jang Jin-sung spoke to Outlook on the BBC World Service, the interview was translated by Kevin Kim. Listen to the programme

With Courtesy of  BBC

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

sql joins

dayal sehrai chap chap khe lgn, ling ling khe lgn

The dark web: Guns and drugs for sale on the internet's secret black market